|Venue: Flushing Meadows, New York Dates: 28 Aug-10 Sept|
|BBC coverage: Live radio and text commentary on selected matches every day.|
Kyle Edmund kept British hopes alive in the US Open singles after Aljaz Bedene and Cameron Norrie were beaten in New York on Wednesday.
Edmund, ranked 42nd, beat American Steve Johnson 7-5 6-2 7-6 (7-4) to reach round three for the second year running.
However, Bedene lost 6-1 6-4 6-4 to Russia’s Andrey Rublev in round one.
And qualifier Norrie went down 6-2 6-4 6-3 to Spanish 12th seed Pablo Carreno Busta in the second round.
Edmund will next face unseeded 18-year-old Canadian Denis Shapovalov, who upset French eighth seed Jo-Wilfried Tsonga 6-4 6-4 7-6 (7-3).
He is the last Briton standing after six were initially entered in the main draw.
“It’s a shame really that a few of us have lost early, and obviously Andy [Murray] was injured,” he said.
“I guess in another way it’s good that there’s some more depth in British tennis that we’re able to have other people go further.”
The Briton, 22, had to wait until 7.30pm local time to get under way on a packed day of 87 singles matches, as organisers looked to make up for Tuesday’s near washout.
He was playing his ninth match in 12 days after reaching the semi-finals in Winston-Salem last week, beating Johnson along the way.
If he was feeling the effects of so many matches, Edmund gave no indication as he saw off the American in two hours and 17 minutes.
He needed three breaks of serve to finally clinch the opening set before dominating the second on a sparsely attended Louis Armstrong Stadium.
Johnson, ranked 46th, held firm in the third to force a tie-break, but Edmund got the decisive break with a superb drop shot for 5-3 and closed it out on serve.
“That’s a big one to get through – very happy I came out with my level the way it was,” said Edmund.
“If he’d snuck that third set then it’s game on, but I played some good points in that tie-break.”
‘I’m proud of myself but a little bit disappointed’
Bedene, 28, continued his poor run at Flushing Meadows, where he has now won just one match in four appearances in the main draw.
“I’m very disappointed – it wasn’t good at all,” the world number 48 told BBC Sport.
“I’m struggling with the movement at the moment. I’ve had problems with the knee since Wimbledon and I thought it was going to be OK, but it’s not, so tough times.
“He was playing a very good game today and I wasn’t surprised, because I know on a good day he can be very solid.”
Norrie, 22, had already enjoyed a successful week at Flushing Meadows by coming through three rounds of qualifying at a Grand Slam at the first time of asking.
Carreno Busta was too strong, however, saving six of seven break points and recovering from a break down in the third.
“It’s just been a great experience,” said Norrie. “I’m proud of myself but a little bit disappointed.”
BBC tennis correspondent Russell Fuller
The bottom half of the men’s draw is an oasis of even greater opportunity after the events of Wednesday. Marin Cilic and John Isner are the only members of the world’s top 15 who remain after the defeats of Alex Zverev and Jo-Wilfried Tsonga.
Kyle Edmund will be relishing the chance, even though he knows only too well the dangers poised by the brilliant 18 year old Denis Shapovalov, who beat him at Queen’s Club in June.
Youth still has much to do to sear its mark. If the seedings go to plan, the quarter-finals in the bottom half of the draw will pit Isner against Kevin Anderson and Cilic against Pablo Carreno Busta.